12 Best Herbs and Natural Supplements to Treat Type 2 Diabetes
High blood sugar, low insulin sensitivity, high blood pressure and cholesterol? You’re a sweet darling and you have diabetes. What can you do? There’s no secret anymore, doctors, nutritionists, scientists, researchers agree now that type 2 diabetes is reversible.
The best part is that you can find the solution right in your backyard and in health stores: herbs and natural supplements.
What is Type 2 Diabetes?
Type 2 Diabetes is a metabolic disorder triggered by high blood sugar levels. Your body has an insulin problem: it doesn’t respond to insulin or it starts producing it in excess. Therefore, your glucose levels are unbalanced.
There’s a diabetes epidemic worldwide, growing more and more every year. While usually, you would be prescribed medication and insulin, more and more research shows that there are other alternative, natural, healthier options to tame your diabetes condition and even reverse it.
How Can You Reverse Diabetes Naturally?
Yes, you can! With a healthy diet, exercises, reducing and managing your body weight, herbal remedies and other natural supplements can help you in this direction.
Many clinical studies in the recent years have shown that various herbs improved and helped blood glucose and blood pressure levels, lowered cholesterol, balanced insulin levels.
1. Garlic - Yes, you can grow it in your garden, include it in your daily meals (raw, of course), dry it and make a powder to sprinkle on your food, or buy it from health stores as capsules. Garlic is savory, healthy, and helps in reversing your diabetes. It has antioxidant properties, stimulates the micro-circulation, regulates insulin and decreases blood glucose levels.
2. Cinnamon – this aromatic reddish-brown that you love so much in your apple pie, tea, or hot wine in winter is rich in polyphenols, which have been shown to improve blood sugar levels and insulin production, reduces inflammation and cholesterol.
3. Ginseng – whether it is Siberian ginseng, American ginseng, Korean ginseng, or Japanese ginseng, it is a cure-all herb (Panax species) that has been proved helpful in diabetes, too.
4. Aloe Vera – Plant it in a pot at home to collect its healing gel fresh or take it already collected in bottles from health stores. This juice is going to help with your diabetes, improve digestion and metabolism, help your pancreas and liver, detox your body, reduce your HbA1c (the blood sugar measure), and even prevent diabetes.
5. Fenugreek – used in Ayurvedic treatments for diabetes, improving glucose levels, regulates digestion, is widely sold all over the world now for these and other health matters. It has been also found to decrease insulin resistance and prevent diabetes.
6. Ginger – has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, metabolism boosting properties. It also reduces blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity. Whether you consume the fresh root as food or take capsules as supplements, ginger is going to help with diabetes, studies show.
7. Milk Thistle – contains high levels of flavonoids and antioxidants which have been shown to reverse insulin resistance. It also boosts metabolism and detoxify your body from toxins.
8. Holy Basil – used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine, holy basil stimulates the beta cells to produce insulin naturally and improve the glucose levels.
9. Magnesium – it is known that magnesium is linked to the insulin production, as high levels of insulin cause magnesium levels in your blood to decrease. Which naturally leads to the conclusion that if you have diabetes, supplementing with magnesium can only be beneficial. Studies show also that magnesium lowers your blood sugar marker HbA1c in diabetes.
10. Turmeric – this vividly colored spice contains curcumin, which has antioxidant, antibacterial, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-carcinogenic effects. It lowers blood sugar and blood pressure levels, improved metabolism, and it proved helpful in preventing diabetes in patients with a certain risk.
11. Green Tea – has polyphenols, powerful antioxidants, specifically epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which have been proven to prevent type 2 diabetes, improve glucose levels and insulin production.
12. Gymnema sylvestre – in India it is called “the Sugar Destroyer”, so you get that it will target specifically and regulate your blood sugar. It is one of the most powerful herbs in the world that reduces blood sugar. It can be taken along with other insulin or diabetes medication, without interfering. Research suggests that can reduce weight, stimulate digestion, and have mild laxative effects. Overall, it has powerful anti-diabetic and anticarcinogenic effects.